Need to make your CSA pledge?
Read more

Parish History

Old Mission was first settled in 1841 with a few Indian wigwams and four log homes. Father Ignatius Mrak was the first Catholic Priest to say Mass on Old Mission. Two or three times a year Mass was held in a few houses and wigwams. 

Mapleton was the location selected by local Catholics to build a chapel in 1880. Oliver and Elizabeth 
Lardie donated the land, and in 1881 Rev. George Ziegler blessed the 24x30 foot chapel. Sunday services were held every alternate month. By 1897, the St. Joseph Mission consisted of approximately 35 families.

St. Joseph Cemetery was established in 1898 on the west side of Center Road, between Island View 
Road and Cherry Hill Road. 1/2 acre of land was donated by John and Matilda Hoffman, and another 1/4 acre was donated by Lawrence Carroll. Frederick Zoulek was the first buried, August 12, 1899. The cost of a burial plot was five dollars.

Following an undocumented wind storm that damaged the chapel, a larger church was constructed in 1907 by Pastor Fr. Faucher. Builder O.J. Benson was assisted by members of the Swaney family and various parishioners. There was an ornate stamped tin ceiling, and a heavy wood cross topped the tall steeple. The bell tower remained empty for two years until a bell was obtained and blessed. The Stations of the Cross were made of plaster of Paris, horsehair, straw, and burlap around 1911.

St. Joseph Church obtained electricity in the early 1930's. Bishop Haas gave permission to enlarge the church in 1948. The present Sanctuary, a Confessional, two Sacristies, and oil furnace, flooring, side entrance, a basement, landscaping, and other improvements were completed. The church expanded to 30x77 feet and 46x77 feet, and Fr. Winikaitus' Sunday and Holy Masses were never disrupted during the reconstruction.

The St. Joseph Rectory was built by Oakley Lardie in 1951. The rectory is an addition built between two small cabins moved from a Traverse City resort, known as Hick's Tourist Cabins. In December of 1957 a parcel of land was donated by Tom and Irene Hoffman, and Fred and Lillian Cooledge. The cemetery size was now one acre. The St. Joseph and Blessed Virgin Altars have been in the church since its construction. However, the gold Tabernacle in the St. Joseph Altar was installed by Fr. Barrett in the late 1950's.

The Communion Rail was removed in December of 1965. The bell tower was removed in 1968 as construction began on the current front entrance to the church. The original bell was secured in a new bell tower made of Onaway Stone. The balcony stairway, outdoor lighting, and a second Celotex church ceiling were among many improvements.

In 1971, one of the cabins was removed, and the rectory was enlarged for Fr. Linus Schrems. Fr. Schrems was the first pastor to use the rectory as a permanent residence in 1972. Around 1975, 
the church foundation was renovated after flooding from heavy rain. Under the direction of Fr. Denay, a new gas furnace was installed in the church basement. The previous oil furnace blew up, and everything was covered by a fine layer of black soot.

The main church parking lot was paved in 1984. In 1982, Oakley, Ken , and Charlie Lardie donated the land where Denay Hall would be constructed over the next few years. Occupancy of Denay Hall was granted in 1985.

At the direction of Father Edwin Frederick (Fr. Fred), the handicap access ramp was installed in 1990. And, each year, from 1990 to 2007 and resuming in 2013, summer parish picnics were held at Bowers Harbor Park. Due to a marked increase of nearly 200 families in the parish while Fr. Denay and Fr. Fred were Pastors, the extended parking lot was added in 1991. Later that year, an additional 26 acres of land was added to the cemetery property. One acre was plotted as an addition to the existing cemetery. In 1992, Fr. Fred held the first Memorial Mass at the cemetery on the 4th of July weekend. This Mass has been an annual tradition. Bud Johnson made all the wooden hymnal racks for the church pews in 1993.

The first recorded desecration of St. Joseph Church occurred during a break-in by three men on Thanksgiving evening, November 25, 1993. The St. Joseph Statue was damaged, a small fire was started, and many items were confiscated.

The first telephone in the church was installed in 1994! (editor's note: Obviously, God calls us in other ways.) The current cedar wood ceiling was installed in 1995.

After Fr. Fred's retirement in 1996, Fr. Jim Holtz held weekly Mass until Fr. Patrick Barrett's return to St. Joseph. The current oak Altar was donated by Holy Family Church in East Tawas on December 3, 2000. Bishop Patrick Cooney announced at the Masses on June 1st, and 2nd, 2002, that Fr. Pat was placed on administrative leave. Fr. Edwin Thome was appointed Adminstrator June 29, 2002, and remains with our parish today. As well, Deacon Jim Krupka and wife, Fran, joined our parish in 2003, and are active in many facets of ministry and parish life.

The field stone and arched iron entrance to the cemetery was completed by the Cemetery Committee in 2003. The committee received a donation of a stone Altar for the cemetery, which was blessed by Fr. Thome at the annual Memorial Mass in 2006. On Saturday, January 22, 2005, Fr. Ray Garcia celebrated the first weekly Spanish Mass at St. Joseph Church. Later that summer, the Mass was moved to Sunday afternoon, and continued until the Summer of 2008. The Spanish Mass is now celebrated at Immaculate Conception Church in Traverse City.

With advice from the Diocesan Task Force, and before his retirement, Bishop Cooney appointed 
Fr. Anthony Citro of Immaculate Conception as Pastor of St. Joseph Church in July of 2009.
Fr. Thome remained our Sacramental Minister. St. Joseph's Religious Education Program consolidated with St. Francis Parish's youth group in the summer of 2009. And, The Edge Underground and Life Teen Underground are expanding the spiritual needs of our children. Monsignor Bernard Hebda was ordained and installed as our new Bishop of the Diocese of Gaylord on December 1, 2009. The kitchen in Denay Hall was renovated, with new stoves and a new "commercial grade" dishwasher, in time for the annual Parish Christmas Potluck Dinner in December of 2009. Father Thome was installed as our Pastor by Bishop Hebda on November 7, 2010. 

An asphalt driveway was completed south of the Cemetery, and the Father Fred Memorial Entrance to the Cemetery was closed and gravel driveway removed in the autumn of 2010. The Columbarium at the cemetery was blessed by Bishop Hebda on June 4, 2011. The stone Altar was moved from the area adjacent from the graves of former priests of St. Joseph to the Columbarium area. The Father Fred Memorial entrance was moved from Center Road to the south side of the cemetery on June 17, 2011.

On June 17, 2013, parishioners began to remove items and sacramentals from the church in preparation for the building to move to the cemetery property. Masses resumed in Denay Hall on June 22, 2013, and the split-rail fence was installed around the cemetery in late-July. At 7:30 A.M. on Tuesday, August 13, 2013, Deitz Building Movers of Muskegon, Michigan, moved the 105 year-old church over 3/4 of a mile down Center Road in 2 hours 15 minutes to the entrance driveway at the cemetery. At 5:15 A.M. on August 14, the church was moved under the power lines at the cemetery driveway, then made the rest of the journey to its present location later that afternoon. One year later, August 14, 2014, the first Mass was celebrated at the new St. Joseph Church for the Feast of The Assumption of Mary!

Our sincerest thanks and gratitude to Mary Lyon. Without her extensive work to document the history of St. Joseph Parish, this summary would not be possible. Thank you Mary!